I am Chairperson of the County’s Economic, Enterprise and Tourism Strategy Committee. We produced the first Tourism Strategy for the County earlier this year and I chaired the Tourism Working Group which brought it into being.
Tourism development and promotion is identified as a new opportunity for jobs and economic growth.
The following initiatives and funding are being provided for in 2016:
- €500,000 for the planning/design of a major national visitor attraction in the Dublin Mountains.
- €200,000 - The continuation of the County Signage Programme –
- The completion of a heritage trail for Tallaght.
- The design of village and neighbourhood approach signage.
- The design of a countywide tourism signage strategy.
- A provision of €20,000 has been made for pageantry signage to highlight festivals and social events.
Funding studies of the potential of the Bohernabreena Reservoir and the outbuilding adjacent to Rathfarnham Castle from a Tourism perspective.
Economic Development – County Promotion and Presentation
2016 will see the continuation and expansion of a number of initiatives most notably:
• The continuation of the village enhancement programme with works planned in Rathcoole, Newcastle, Saggart, Lucan and Rathfarnham. A further €1,200,000 has been added to this programme as part of this budget.
• Dedicated village teams to maintain village appearance with an emphasis on grass and hedge cutting, litter control, graffiti removal, soft landscaping and working closely with communities including the Tidy Towns committees.
• Provision of €250,000 has been made to fund the landscaping of the N81, which will be designed in Qtr 1 next year and hopefully go to tender over the summer (from Templeogue Bridge to Jobstown)
• A roundabout sponsorship scheme
For every €1 the Council spends, over half of it comes from Business in the County. The ‘Business Support Fund’ will continue in 2016. This fund amounts to 1% of rates or €1.2m. The fund will be used to support:
• A rates support fund to assist SME’s as has operated for the last two years.
• A fund for remedial works to industrial estates.
• A grant scheme for the refurbishment of vacant industrial premises for use as micro enterprise space.
• A rates holiday for LEO supported micro enterprise that locate in refurbished premises.
• A training programme for business based on their requirements.